- Position: Senior Ecologist
- Salary: £38,000 – Negotiable dependent on experience
- Contract: Permanent
- Hours: Full time
- Closing date: Friday 18th of February
Sangan Island Conservation Ltd is an award-winning family run ecological consultancy based on Jersey in the Channel Islands. We are passionate about our island ecology and working with the various communities on island to help protect and enhance our islands environment.
Established in 2012, we have been involved in a large range of projects over the years as well as undertaking our own in-house research into local species ecology. We are always continuing to improve our own and our island’s ecological knowledge as well as helping to drive improvements in ecological principles on island. Active projects range from development ecology, management of SSI’s, working with agriculture sector through LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming) and research projects with Grey Long-eared bats.
We are looking to appoint a Senior Ecologist to join our expanding team in Jersey. The role will include:
- Delivering projects both field and office elements including designing and undertaking surveys, producing reports and data analysis and entry.
- Managing tenders and pricing of work.
- Day to day oversight of company operations.
- Managing and mentoring colleagues and contributing to team-wide training and development.
- Identifying new work opportunities.
A full-time role would be based on 35 hours a week.
This is an exciting role based on the beautiful island of Jersey within an established ecology company. We pride ourselves on our integrity and strong commitment to working with our clients and other stakeholders to achieve more for our islands wildlife by being approachable and able to deliver high quality surveys and positive outcomes. We always work to ensure that we can maintain flexibility and a healthy work/life balance whilst providing a high quality of work to our clients.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for developing new work opportunities, delivering projects to a high standard, and developing the skills of their colleagues.
- The successful candidate will complement our existing team and will share our commitment to high quality ecology and be motivated to help grow and develop the business.
Experience and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level or with equivalent level of skill and knowledge.
- Have a professional membership (e.g. RSB, CIEEM), at a relevant level.
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of ecological taxa, survey methods and assessment types (including knowledge of Ecological Impact Assessment).
- Experience of managing a portfolio of ecological consultancy projects.
- Experience of stakeholder engagement and negotiation.
- Experience of line management and team development.
- Hold or be eligible for, a local Bat Roost Visitor licence (equivalent of Class 2 natural England licence).
- Computer skills including MS office tools and GIS applications.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Other current protected species licence(s) (reptile, amphibian etc).
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent communication skills and a proactive approach to building relationships with colleagues and project partners.
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter to Piers Sangan, Director and Ecologist: